Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blog # 3

In Ernest Hemingway’s short story “A Clean, Well Lighted Place” there was a special meaning for what the café meant for the main character and the old waiter. I also have a haven for getting away from everyday life. To me that place is my bed. It was one of the best places for me. It is a place of rest, escape and also peace. There are times when I could be very angry and I might do something I regret so I would go to bed and sleep because it would be the best way to calm myself down. Also, I would go to bed for rest of a hard day at school or work and it was even a time to collect and organize all my thoughts. When I am in my bed it is like my escape from any problem I have because if I am comfy I will go into my own zone and fall asleep for however long I sleep for at that time. The only time I would be up when I am in my bed if I was either woken up due to my phone or my body just told me it was time to get up. As in Hemingway's short story the place of haven was the cafe and mine was my bed. Both places are escapes from the reality of what our lives are and how we need a place to go to when we are in certain moods and an escape from problems and distractions.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I never think about it, but I am treating my bed in very similar way to yours. I also use it to runaway from my problems and worriments. You help me realize how much time I spend there. I go there to sleep, rest, forget about problems, watch TV or to study. I really liked your blog, I felt almost like I wrote it, I have exactly the same way of acting, my bed-mine safe haven, oasis;).
    Only one small digression, I will not agree with you that for main character the cafe had the same meaning, in my opinion he was visiting this place to be with people not to escape from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with katurbanshka. cafe was the place that people who were lonely and did not want to be by themselves would go there. at the end of the story, waiter said" the light is very good, now, there shadows of the leaves."

    ReplyDelete